18 June 2013

The NFL has banned purses at football games

The NFL announced a change to its bag policy Thursday and beginning with the 2013 season, only clear plastic, vinyl or PVC bags will be permitted inside NFL stadiums.  Under the new policy, fans will be allowed to bring one bag into stadiums and that bag must be clear and not exceed 12 inches by six inches by 12 inches...
Here's a list of items from the NFL that you will not be allowed to bring into stadiums: purses larger than a clutch bag, coolers, briefcases, backpacks, fanny packs, cinch bags, seat cushions, luggage of any kind, computer bags and camera bags or any bag larger than the permissible size.
Discussed at Reddit, including "Kind of nice for those of us who travel to stadiums by public transportation. Let me just flash everyone on the bus everything I am carrying, including my wallet and phone."

7 comments:

  1. It's not just the NFL. I went to a Major League Baseball game with my 78 year old grandfather last night. They tried to confiscate the "Old Timer" pocket knife he has carried for perhaps 70 years. (Maybe not the same knife, but something similar). I had to walk the knife back to the car in a torrential downpour.

    Here's the kicker, it was raining when I returned to the gate. The EXACT same guard asked me, "Do you have any knives or anything?" I said, "No." She said, "Okay, go on in." She made my grandfather empty his pockets and she 'wanded' him. But when it was raining, she didn't want to get out from under the awning to check me.

    This aggravated me more than I thought it would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A classic example of security theater. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. While in line to enter the State Fair of Texas one fall, I saw an old rancher ahead of me remove his pocketknife from his pants, hold it in his clenched palm while he had raised his arms so the "guard" could wand him. He got to enter with the knife.
      I left mine in my car before entering.

      Delete
  2. One word: 'Sheeple.'

    We as Americans are always reacting to the most recent act of terrorism/mass killing/idiocy rather than the next one.

    One wonders why are shoes allowed to be worn w/o checking them? How come that guy in front of me has a big tube of sunscreen? Do reporters have some sort of special permission to bring computer bags into a stadium?

    What a crock - just stay home and watch the game on your 108 inch TV. Drink all you want, no line at the bathroom, temperature controlled, npbody dropping the F-bomb on your kids...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had season tix for 8 years to the local NFL team. And the bag checks were cursory at best. As were the pat downs. Always just a tap-tap along our wastes, and then a brief run of the hands (palms out) up our sides and over down our outstretched arms.

    I always wondered about the folks who undoubtedly had a gun/knife/??? strapped to their ankles. No problem at all with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Went to a pro basketball game here several years ago and was told to lift the hem of my jacket well above my waist and turn full-circle. So I added a little dance step to the routine...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even less reason to buy tickets. I suspect that all major sports venues will head this way as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...