04 March 2012

How to convert methamphetamine into Sudafed

The methodology is published in the Journal of Aprocryphal Chemistry, with this logical explanation:
Pseudoephedrine, active ingredient of Sudafed ® , has long been the most popular nasal decongestant in the United Statesdue to its effectiveness and relatively mild side effects. In recent years it has become increasingly difficult to obtain pseudoephedine in many states because of its use as a precursor for the illegal drug  - methylamphetamine (also known under various names including crystal meth, meth, ice,etc.).

While in the past many stores were able to sell pseudoephedrine, new laws in the United States have restricted sales to pharmacies, with the medicine kept behind the counter. The pharmacies require signatures and examination of government issued ID in order to purchase pseudoephedrine. Because the hours of availability of such pharmacies are often limited, it would be of great interest to have a simple synthesis of pseudoephedrine from reagents which can be more readily procured. A quick search of several neighborhoods of the UnitedStates revealed that while pseudoephedrine is difficult to obtain, N-methylamphetamine can be procured at almost any time on short notice and in quantities sufficient for synthesis of useful amounts of the desired material.
Via BoingBoing's Submitterator.

6 comments:

  1. That is just plain sad! That someone seeking medicinal remedies can not get it cause of government laws and the people who abuse these drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the county where I work (in Missouri) you need a prescription (rather than just showing ID at the pharmacy counter), which really sucks, because then I have to pony up a co-pay in order to see a doctor who will tell me what I already know...that I have a cold. So this cheap, relatively safe drug now costs an extra $30. Prescriptions don't keep people from abusing other drugs; I'm not sure why we would expect a different outcome here, but I don't really have data, just a suspicion. And I just read in the paper that the stores in Missouri that sell the most pseudoephedrine are the ones right next to the counties where you are required to get a prescription to get it. Some are taking that as evidence that the laws work; it seems more logical that it's easier for someone with a head cold to drive a few more miles than to make a special trip to the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah - yes - I roared with laughter when I read that and meant to repost it to uk.rec.sheds but forgot - an oversight I shall now remedy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the pharmacies around here decided it's less hassle to just not sell pseudoephedrine rather than deal with the behind the counter & ID bit. Haven't been able to breathe well in the spring or fall since this stupid law went into effect. Didn't seem to put a dent in the meth, though. Makes no sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As an Irishman visiting DC a few years ago I was amazed that the pharmacist refused me sudafed even with my passport! And I only wanted 2 tablets to get me through my flight home!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As an Irishman you should be amazed at the fact that codeine is not sold here. God bless Boots at Gatewick.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...