03 September 2022

"Break It To Me Gently" (Brenda Lee, 1961)


I heard this song last night in the background during the credits for an episode of Mad Men (second season) and thought it should be stored in the blog.
4 ft 9 inch tall Brenda Mae Tarpley was born "in the charity ward of Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, Georgia... She attended grade schools wherever her father found work, primarily in the corridor between Atlanta and Augusta. Her family was poor, living hand-to-mouth; she shared a bed with her two siblings in a series of three-room houses without running water... Her father died in 1953, and by the time she turned ten, she was the primary breadwinner of her family through singing at events and on local radio and television shows."

Reposted from 2012 because I found it while looking for other things in the archives, and I enjoyed hearing it again. 

4 comments:

  1. A very nice song. Season two was Mad Men at its finest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good story and pretty song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Brenda Lee. I had bought this record when it came out, and played it so many times that I had to buy another copy. I was fortunate to attend her concert in Montreal, June'69. I even waited after the show and got her autograph. Bless you, Brenda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mention of "Mad Men" has me borrowing the three books by David Ogilvy, and, updating his wiki page.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...