10 January 2012

A fascinating scene from the movie "Contact"


This is the scene where the Jodie Foster character discovers her dad is dying.  I don't remember noticing the special effects when I watched the movie years ago.  Look at this 40-second segment and try to figure out how it was filmed.  Is she a reflection in a mirror - or not?  I'll leave the answer below the fold...


Here's the salient part of the Reddit discussion thread:
“a Steadicam person with the Vista Vision camera strapped to his chest ran backwards in front of Young Ellie as he goes up the stairs and down the hallway – there was a speed change – we ramp from 24 to 48fps (though I can’t remember exactly – we could have ramped through three different speeds) – by the time she stops and puts her hand to open the medicine cabinet door (”A" plate ) – we are then inside the reflection. The medicine cabinet was the “B” plate (second plate) and then the door closes and we have the “C” plate (third plate) which was the reflection of the photo of Young Ellie and her dad. B" or, in simpler terms, “the shot was filmed normally and flipped in post to achieve the mirror image. The actual bathroom mirror was replaced with a bluescreen into which the original shot was superimposed.”
And the overdubbed commentary from director Robert Zemeckis:

10 comments:

  1. This is why Zemeckis is such an awesome director. He uses special effects in a very special way, not too show off but to convey emotions. I just love him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasnt sure the specifics of what they did in that sequence, but I knew it was genius because of the effect it had on me. I watched it with a friend not long ago, and as the scene started to play i had to mutter under my breath, "Watch this".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't ever think about this kind of stuff unless it turns out very wrong. I would rather simply watch and enjoy the movie rather than critique the special effects. I'd have to watch this film many, many times before it would enter my mind that something special had been done to give this effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  4. Fascinating. I watched this several times, and at first I thought the camera was to the left, filming into the mirror ... but I can't explain how he turned the corner ...it IS genius.

    ReplyDelete
  5. film the whole thing then green screen the first filming onto the mirror of the second filming (her grasping the knob of the cabinet)...my best explanation without reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shawn, I don't allow ad hominem attacks on other readers, which is how I interpreted your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SOMEBODY should attach bigjohn's ad hominem, he's basically called your original post pointless and himself not particularly observant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. No. There's nothing wrong with someone calling my post irrelevant or incorrect or stupid. That's fine with me.

    And he's not presenting an "ad hominem" attack; you need to look up the meaning of the word:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

    "an attempt to negate the truth of a claim by pointing out a negative characteristic or belief of the person supporting it."

    In the history of this blog, I have never deleted any comment that criticizes the content of my posts; on the contrary, I often use such comments to amend/improve the post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It has to be a green screen because if you look at her hand in the reflection all you see is yellow in her jacket, but she has on a reddish sleeve on the other side

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...