23 February 2011

"Romania's Got Talent" singer


Watch it soon - it won't last long.

The video shows Narcis Iustin Ianau-O, a 16-year-old who sings Puccini’s aria “O mio Babbino caro.“  The original video that was posted yesterday has been pulled; it included the usual pre- and post-performance commentary and interviews, in Romanian, translated in a Reddit thread:
Narcis: I never took singing lessons. My mom, living in Italy since I was 9 years old, hasn't really heard me sing. My dad heard me many times and already knows how I sing. However, when my mom heard me sing, she thought that I could not accomplish anything with this voice. My dream is for my mother to hear me singing on an open stage.

Tall Stageguy: go ahead/impress us.
I was impressed.   I've seen commentary that quibbled about the accuracy of the high notes and the stridency of his voice, but it's still a startling performance to hear.

Via Remote Patrolled.

8 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the Castrati of Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not particularly pleasant to listen to in terms of vocal quality and pitch on the high notes, but what I find amazing is how good his phrasing is. If he ends up with a decent singing voice once his voice changes, he could be a big deal. He has a real feel for the music and the basis of the technique to execute it.

    Here's a terrific performance by Kiri te Kanawa (who also tends to be just a hair flat, but who cares?):

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FK3D6FUV5M

    --Swift Loris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also made me think of castrati. I don't like it much, though. But as you said, startling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to see what he does with a slower piece where he can stretch out a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, amazing, but not pleasant to listen to. Screechy. Interested in the comments on phrasing, which I'm not competent to really pick up on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved this. Bravo and standing ovations for his guts and desire to chase his dream.

    That boy's got talent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://romaniiautalent.protv.ro/video/iustin-narcis-ianau.html


    you should hear his song in the semifinals. i, for one think it's absolutely perfect

    ReplyDelete
  8. Breath taking!Go for it,boy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...