08 November 2009

Pellet


I presume this is an owl or hawk pellet. Found here, via, without any explanation that I can decipher, even using Babelfish. I encounter pellets like these along trails while hiking. They are much more interesting than the feline hairballs regurgitated around our house.

I've always been impressed that various raptor centers and other retail outlets sell pellet-dissecting kits for children. My young niece got one as a gift a few years ago and was enthralled. It's a potential gift to keep in mind with the holiday season approaching, if you know a youngster with an inquiring mind.

2 comments:

  1. we dissected owl pellets when I was in 4th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Japanese; I went to Babelfish (seeing the reference) and translated it:

    A little with like the old [me] which picks up [he] ゚ [retsuto] of [hukurou] it has started to deteriorate, (the bone of [ha] ゙ [raha] ゙ [ra] under the photograph those which disperse) two it had fallen to the same place, but it is favorite stopping Kinosita or, you do not analyze still in detail, but when from form of the mandibular bone which disperses (the photograph central left), being time to identification of the kind of kind where Ness ゙ [mi] course several individuals are included at least and again

    I think the general meaning is "I pick these up alot; the one pictured is disintegrating (one of the bones in the beneath photograph is broken). There were two [pellets] together, but a popular place to find them is Kinosita... If you look closely, you can use the shape of the mandibular bone (the central left picture) to figure out what kind of animal it was. Some bones are repeated a lot [from different mice/etc whose remains were "grouped" into the same pellet]."

    So there you go.

    (We dissected owl pellets in 6th grade. My group got 4 skulls...)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...