09 November 2009

The history of Presidential salutes


"Presidents have long been saluted, but they began returning salutes relatively recently. Ronald Reagan was thought to be the first, in 1981. He had sought advice on the matter from Gen. Robert Barrow, commandant of the Marine Corps. According to John Kline, then Mr. Reagan’s military aide and today a member of Congress from Minnesota, General Barrow told the president that as commander in chief he could salute anybody he wished. And so it began."

From an op-ed piece by Carey Winfrey in the New York Times. Photo credit Pablo Martinez Monsivais/Associated Press.

2 comments:

  1. You know, I had read that somewhere - that it started with Reagan.

    I know some people don't like it but frankly, I do. It's a sign of respect from the President to a representative of a group of people who deserve respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it highly interesting. I also appreciate that it wasn't simply "done" but military leadership was consulted. I don't consider myself too much of a traditionalist but I think that certain etiquittes have a great deal of importance beyond their direct implication. For example, proper flag etiquitte. The nation isn't going to fall aprt just because of a tattered flag on an office building but knowing the rules for flag care sure do foster an idea of citizenship in an individual. Watching a president return a salute has a similar effect.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...