08 July 2012

Battling deer flies


One of my projects this past week has involved spending long hours in the woods, contributing to the health of the natural world by feeding Anopheles quadrimaculatus, our unofficial state bird. But one critter I find even more annoying is the deer fly, a small biting fly shaped like (and flying like) an F-15 fighter.

Earlier this summer Presurfer featured a cap with adhesive patches designed to catch the flies. The manufacturer claims that the patches attract deer flies, but my experience is that deer flies simply attack a person's head regardless of any substance present there. I had thought it would be reasonable to just take a regular baseball cap and attach some double-sided tape to see what happens, and wondered if any readers of TYWKIWDBI have tried such.

But while researching this blogpost today, I encountered an apparently better solution at an excellent resource by a Florida professor of entomology. He notes that blue cylinders (inverted cups, for example) coated with sticky material and attached to slow moving objects such as a lawnmower will catch large numbers of deer flies.
"The motion must have angular displacement, i.e. movement through space. Deer flies are mostly ambush predators, they sit and wait for their prey to come to them. Thus, the trap will not work if it sits in one place even if it is rotating or shaking. Traps must be moved through space. Deer flies usually fly at heights lower than 10 feet and usually attack the highest available area on the human body first. Walking with a trap mounted on a pole and shaken overhead can be effective.
Black and red colored traps will also catch deer flies but in lesser numbers."
We have blue plastic cups at our house. If something like this will get rid of deer flies, I have no qualms about looking ridiculous. I'll try to test this later in the summer and will report the results here. If anyone else has experience in this regard, please post a comment.

Reposted from 2009 to offer an addendum and update.  I never did test out the sticky blue cups that summer, but this summer the post received a comment from UmbrellaGirl, who has a blog devoted specifically to this topic.  At her appropriately-titled Trapping Deer Flies in Livingston, Michigan blog, she has two articles.  The most recent provides data on the trapping of nearly 10,000 deer flies in the month of June !


More importantly, she provides detailed instructions on how to construct a deer fly-trapping umbrella:


and shows the impressive results of a stroll around her property:


What a wonderfully informative and practical blog.  Now I just have to find some Tanglefoot.

Thanks, UmbrellaGirl!

7 comments:

  1. I catch hundreds of deer flies every day (I've caught over 9000 in the past 28 days) using an umbrella, blue cups, and Tangle-Trap. Check out my blog which explains how to make the umbrella trap and use it. It is super easy and really really works. I hope this helps.
    http://deerflytrapumbrella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most excellent! I was dreading going back onto the woodland trails in this heat. I'm going to repost the article after adding your link.

      Many thanks.

      Delete
  2. web designers adelaide

    Wow. Great tip in catching deer flies. I so need this one. Deer flies are causing havoc in our place and it's quite annoying. Thanks so much for this one. It will be a great help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you use for "sticky stuff"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please read Umbrella Girl's link.

      Delete
    2. Please be aware that the Tanglefoot company sells several different products, each for a specific application. The one for coating traps is the one I use. It is called Tangle-Trap Sticky Coating. I use the canned version, not the spray. The can is available in either an 8 oz size (which includes an applicator brush) or a quart size with a top like a paint can (with no applicator included). They can be purchased through Amazon and other online sites. I am now using a 2-inch foam applicator on a stick (readily available in the paint brush isle) for applying the Tangle-Trap. Much quicker and easier than the small brush included with the 8 oz cans. I would include a picture to the Tangle-Trap product but I don't see a way to do that through this reply section, but it is very clearly pictured on my blog.

      Happy trapping!

      http://deerflytrapumbrella.blogspot.com/

      Delete
    3. Thank you for posting that information. I didn't include that picture because I don't like to borrow too much from my sources - better to send traffic to the site.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...