11 April 2009

Dave Arneson, the first Dungeonmaster, R.I.P.

Minnesotan Dave Arneson collaborated with the late Gary Gygax to create Dungeons and Dragons in 1974. This week Mr. Arneson succumbed to cancer. Or, as some would say, lacking an Amulet of Health or a friend with a Resurrection Spell, he depleted his hit points.

I have an abundance of fond memories of exploring dungeons in the early 1980s, sitting around a table covered with an immense piece of graph paper, charting hallways, kicking down doorways, and fleeing from orcs. Sitting on the bookshelf behind me as I blog are my Players Handbook, my Monster Manual, my Dungeonmaster's Guide, the multisided dice, and the carefully painted lead figurines.

John Butts, wherever you are now, many thanks for your skills and patience as Dungeonmaster.

Photo credit Malia Weinhagen, Associated Press

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...