19 February 2009

Large neodynium magnets can be dangerous



Dirk had an accident. Below is the X-ray showing his totally crushed finger tip. It took 1 1/2 hours of surgery to remove the shattered bones and repair the damage. Medically speaking, he crushed his right index finger distal phalange. The magnets had a 50 cm (20 inch) separation when they decided to fly together.

He is lucky that he only lost a finger tip as opposed to his whole hand. The block Neo below is about 4" by 2" by 2" N45 with a pull force of around 700 lbs (320 kg). The disk is about 3" dia. by 2 1/2" thick N45 with a pull force of about 400 lbs (180 kg). That is his fingernail and some of his finger tip caught between the magnets.
The victim explains:
They came to me from the USA in four different large cardboard boxes. Each magnet placed in the center of each box. Very careful packing ! I placed them in my own room (closed when I am not at home or in the room) around a 1 meter in diameter pouf. No direct contact.

That Sunday night I placed on of them a bit in line with one of the others but still within a safety distance (I thought) !!!

When I rotated the magnet the other raised it self upwards due to the same poles. I know that I thought (ooops ... take care) and before I knew it the one that raised itself upwards turned around and within a split second the two magnets collided to each other with the top-part of my finger between them. Due to the brutal force my finger was splashed and pushed out between the magnets leaving skin and my complete nail between the two magnets. The collision was so strong that on the carpet I found only some drops of blood spread around the magnets. Like you smash a hammer on a frikandel (is a Dutch snack, a sort of minced-meat hot dog)...

I appreciate that you will place my story with the pictures to warn others about the not known danger of these beautiful magnets

Best regards....... Dirk - The Netherlands
More details, xray, and another photo at the link. Reddit discussion here. Here's where you can buy them.

Addendum: Here are followup photos after the finger healed.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...